Are you considering a fresh look for your outdoor space and wondering if wicker patio furniture is the right choice? Look no further!
Wicker patio furniture has been a popular choice for outdoor living areas for years, and it’s easy to see why. With its timeless appeal, wide range of styles, and incredible durability, wicker furniture can transform your patio into a comfortable, stylish oasis.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the ins and outs of wicker patio furniture, covering everything from the best materials to maintenance tips, decor ideas, and more. By the end of this guide, you’ll have all the information you need to make an informed decision and create the perfect outdoor space tailored to your needs and style preferences.
So, let’s dive in and discover the world of wicker patio furniture!
When you are done reading below, come back and check out:
👉 Our roundup of the best value-for-the-money wicker patio furniture brands.
Facts About Wicker Patio Furniture
In this section, we will explore some key facts and information to know about wicker patio furniture.
What is Wicker?
Before diving into everything there is to know about patio furniture, let’s clear up a common misconception: wicker is not a material, but rather a type of weave. This means that when we talk about wicker furniture, we’re referring to items crafted with a specific weaving technique that creates a distinctive, attractive look.
Wicker Material Types: Natural vs. Synthetic
Now that we know wicker refers to the weaving technique, let’s discuss the materials that can be used in the process.
Wicker can be made from natural materials such as rattan, bamboo, or willow or synthetic materials like resin or vinyl.
While natural wicker has a lovely, organic feel, it’s important to note that it should not be used outdoors, as it will quickly degrade when exposed to the elements. On the other hand, synthetic wicker is designed to be weather-resistant and is the preferred choice for outdoor furniture.
📣 Note: Nearly all of the wicker patio furniture you find on the market today is made from some type of synthetic material. Therefore, as we talk about wicker patio furniture throughout this guide, we will only be talking about wicker made from synthetic materials. (More on synthetic wicker in the materials section below).
How to tell the difference between natural and synthetic wicker or rattan?
Examine the texture, color, weight, and flexibility of the material. Natural wicker tends to have a more uneven texture and color, while synthetic materials are generally smoother and more consistent.
Rattan vs. Wicker: Don’t Get Confused
As stated above, wicker is a weaving technique, and rattan is a material that can be used in wicker. But, the terms tend to be used to describe the same thing: wicker patio furniture. Some brands may just say rattan instead of wicker and vice versa. The key thing to know is if the wicker (or rattan) is a natural material or synthetic material. If you want to use the furniture outside, make sure it is a synthetic material.
Advantages of Wicker Patio Furniture
Wicker patio furniture has several advantages:
- Great fit for any backyard style: With its versatile design, wicker patio furniture can effortlessly complement a wide range of backyard styles, from rustic to modern.
- Durable: Synthetic wicker, in particular, is known for its resilience, with the ability to withstand harsh weather conditions and last for years.
- Low maintenance: Nearly all wicker furniture requires minimal upkeep, making it a hassle-free choice for busy homeowners.
- Budget-friendly options: There are plenty of affordable wicker furniture sets available, ensuring you can find something that fits your budget.
- High-end options: For those looking to splurge on the best types of patio furniture, there are also luxurious wicker furniture options that offer exceptional style and comfort.
- Eco-friendly: Some synthetic wicker materials are made from recycled plastics, making them an environmentally conscious choice.
The Disadvantage of Wicker Patio Furniture: Quality Matters
For me, there’s really only one clear significant disadvantage when it comes to wicker patio furniture: quality can vary greatly.
It’s crucial to pay attention to the material and craftsmanship of your wicker furniture to ensure it’s built to last and will withstand outdoor use.
My Take: Quality Materials Matter!
As a homeowner who has gone through the process of purchasing outdoor furniture multiple times, I can’t stress enough the importance of material quality for the longevity and satisfaction of your wicker patio furniture. In the following sections, I’ll delve deeper into wicker materials and types, providing valuable insights to help you make an informed decision when shopping for your new outdoor space.
Best Materials for Wicker Patio Furniture
In this section we are going to take a deep dive into all you need to know about wicker patio furniture materials.
Wicker Weave and Inner Frame Definition
To choose the best wicker patio furniture, it’s important to understand its two main components: the inner frame and the wicker weave. The wicker weave by itself is not strong enough to support much weight at all, so all wicker furniture has some type of inner frame for support and strength.
In summary, the inner frame provides structural support, while the wicker weave forms the furniture’s exterior.
Wicker Weave Materials
Several synthetic wicker materials are used in the construction of outdoor furniture. Here’s a breakdown of the most common types:
1. HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene): A top-quality material known for its durability, UV resistance, and eco-friendliness. The best quality wicker patio furniture is made with HDPE.
👉 Check out our pros and cons of HDPE for patio furniture.
2. PE (Polyethylene): When the term “PE” is just used, it usually means a lower-density polyethylene. A slightly less durable option than HDPE, but still a strong choice for outdoor furniture. There are a lot of wicker furniture options listed as “PE Rattan.” This simply means it was made with polyethylene resin.
👉 Read more about what PE Rattan wicker is and if it is a good fit for your backyard.
3. All-Weather Wicker: A term used to describe synthetic wicker materials that are designed to resist the elements. In some cases, the material can be HDPE, in others, it might be a lower-grade PE. So it’s really hard to judge the overall quality of the material if the manufacturer doesn’t explicitly state what it is.
👉 Read more about our understanding of all-weather wicker.
4. Resin Wicker: Similar to all-weather wicker, resin wicker is a plastic-based material that is usually some grade of PE material.
5. PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride): A budget-friendly option, but not as durable as other polyethylene wicker materials.
6. Vinyl: Often used interchangeably with PVC wicker, vinyl is another affordable, yet less durable, option.
How to tell the difference between high and low-quality wicker patio furniture?
If you are trying the difference between a higher grade and lower grade of synthetic wicker, higher-grade wicker will usually be textured, thicker, and/or rounded. Whereas lower-grade wicker can be thin, flat, and shiny.
Inner Frame Materials
In addition to the wicker weave, the inner frame material plays a crucial role in the durability of your patio furniture. More often than not, the inner frame is some type of metal, and the most common types are:
1. Aluminum: Lightweight, corrosion-resistant, and sturdy, aluminum is an ideal choice for outdoor furniture frames.
👉 Read our pros and cons of aluminum patio furniture.
2. Steel: While strong and durable, steel is more susceptible to rust and corrosion compared to aluminum.
👉 Read our pros and cons of steel patio furniture.
Powder Coating: What is it, and why is it important?
Powder coating is a process in which a protective layer is applied to metal frames, enhancing their durability and resistance to weather-related damage. Nearly all metal patio furniture, including the inner frames of wicker patio furniture, will be powder coated.
However, it’s important to note that not all powder-coated frames are created equal. Some lower-quality options may use thinner coats or less thorough application processes, leading to reduced protection and potential corrosion over time.
👉 Read more about what powder-coating is and its importance for patio furniture.
My Material Recommendations!
For the highest quality wicker patio furniture, look for HDPE wicker paired with a powder coated aluminum inner frame.
How Long Does Wicker Patio Furniture Last?
The longevity of your wicker patio furniture largely depends on the quality of the materials used. High-quality options (like HDPE and aluminum) can last up to 20 years or more, while lower-quality materials may show signs of wear and tear after just one or two years.
Wicker vs. Other Patio Furniture Materials
To give you a sense of how wicker compares to other materials, here’s a comparison of popular patio furniture materials based on durability, moisture-resistance, sun and heat resistance, maintenance, and price:
|Material||Durability||Moisture Resistance||Sun & Heat Resistance||Maintenance||Price|
|HDPE Wicker||High||High||High||Low||Med - High|
|PE Wicker||Med - High||Med - High||Med - High||Low - Med||Low - Med|
|Aluminum||High||High||High||Low||Med - High|
|Steel||High||Low - Med||High||Med||Low - Med|
|Teak||High||High||High||Low - Med||High|
|Acacia||Med||Med||Med||Med - High||Low - Med|
Using this comparison table, you can determine which material best suits your needs and preferences for your outdoor space.
✅ For more information on these comparisons, check out these comparison posts:
Wicker Weave Types
There are various wicker weave types to consider when selecting patio furniture. Each type has its own distinct characteristics and appeal. These weave types are flat, half-round, and full-round wicker.
Flat Wicker Weave
Flat wicker weave is one of the more common types of weave for wicker furniture. Some high-quality brands use flat weaves, but lower-quality wicker typically uses a flat weave because it is easier to make. Besides knowing the actual material type, there are two additional variations of a flat weave to help you differentiate between a high and lower-quality product.
- Textured vs. Untextured: Textured flat weave mimics the appearance of natural wicker, offering a more authentic look. Textured flat weaves are usually higher quality. Untextured flat weave, on the other hand, has a smoother finish. From my experience, lower-quality wicker is often untextured, and this can often look shiny.
- Narrow vs. Wide Strands: Flat wicker weave can have either narrow or wide strands. Quality can vary across narrow and wide strands, so its important to know the material type.
Half-Round Wicker Weave
Half-round wicker is a type of weave that features strands with a semi-circular shape. This design offers an attractive appearance while being more durable than flat wicker weaves. The curved strands provide additional strength, making half-round wicker a great choice for those seeking a balance between style and durability. Half-round weaves are generally made with higher-quality materials.
Full-Round Wicker Weave
Full-round wicker weave uses strands with a completely circular shape. This type of wicker is typically thicker and more robust, making it harder to damage. The rounded strands give full-round wicker a distinctive, luxurious appearance, making it an ideal option for those seeking high-end patio furniture with enhanced durability. Like half-round wicker weaves, full-round weaves are generally made with higher-quality materials like HDPE.
When choosing wicker patio furniture, consider the different weave types and their unique characteristics to ensure you find the perfect fit for your outdoor space.
What to Look For When Buying Wicker Patio Furniture
When shopping for wicker patio furniture, consider the following factors to ensure you make the best choice for your outdoor space:
#1. Materials: As discussed earlier, opt for high-quality materials such as HDPE wicker and aluminum frames for enhanced durability and longevity.
#2. Weave Type: Choose between flat, half-round, or full-round wicker weaves depending on your desired aesthetic and durability requirements.
#3. Cushions or No Cushions: Some wicker patio furniture comes with cushions, while others don’t. Consider whether you prefer the added comfort of cushions or a more streamlined look without them.
#4. Warranty: A good warranty indicates that the manufacturer stands behind the quality of their products. Look for patio furniture with at least a one-year warranty to protect your investment.
#5. Assembly: Some wicker patio furniture requires assembly, while others come fully assembled. Consider your preference and skill level when making your selection.
#6. Modularity: Modular furniture allows you to rearrange and customize your outdoor space as needed. This feature is particularly useful for those who like to change up their layout frequently.
#7. Shipping and Delivery: Consider the shipping and delivery options offered by the retailer to ensure a smooth and timely arrival of your new patio furniture.
#8. Return Policy: Familiarize yourself with the retailer’s return policy in case you need to return or exchange the furniture. A flexible return policy can provide peace of mind during the buying process.
#9. Price: Determine your budget and compare the prices of various wicker patio furniture options to find the best value for your money. (More on price below)
If you are looking for a structured and easy way to evaluate and rank patio furniture during your shopping process, I recommend you check out our patio furniture ranking guide to give you clear guidance on how to evaluate patio furniture.
Wicker Patio Furniture Price
Wicker patio furniture is available in a wide range of prices, from budget-friendly options to high-end, luxurious choices. Regardless of your budget, you’re sure to find something that fits your needs and preferences. At the low end, you can find some wicker patio furniture sets that sit 4 people for less than $500. On the high-end, you can easily find wicker patio sets that sit 4 people for over $3,000.
Budget (Cheap) Wicker Patio Furniture Ideas:
- Look for sales and discounts at major retailers
- Consider purchasing used or refurbished items from online marketplaces
- Opt for simpler designs with fewer features
- Go for lower quality materials
High-End Wicker Patio Furniture Ideas:
- Explore premium brands known for their quality and design
- Choose furniture with unique features or custom options
- Invest in durable materials and expert craftsmanship
Is Expensive Wicker Patio Furniture Worth It?
Expensive patio furniture can be worth the investment if you’re looking for long-lasting, high-quality pieces. Premium options typically feature better materials and manufacturing processes and are backed by a warranty and more reliable customer service.
👉 Check out our round-up of some of the best value-for-the-money wicker patio furniture brands.
Styles of Wicker Patio Furniture
Wicker patio furniture comes in various styles to suit different tastes and outdoor spaces. Some popular styles include:
- Traditional: Classic designs with intricate detailing, often inspired by historical periods or vintage aesthetics.
- Modern: Sleek, minimalist designs that emphasize clean lines and geometric shapes.
- Contemporary: A blend of traditional and modern elements, resulting in versatile pieces that work well in various settings.
Colors of Wicker Patio Furniture
Wicker furniture is available in an array of colors, both for the wicker weave itself and accompanying cushions, making it easy to find a color scheme that fits your style.
Wicker Color Types
Wicker weave can be found in several popular colors, including:
1. Brown (Light and Dark): Earthy tones that blend well with natural surroundings.
2. Black: A bold, sophisticated choice that can create a dramatic effect.
👉 Check out our roundup of the best black wicker patio furniture.
3. White: A fresh, clean look that brightens up your outdoor space.
4. Gray: A versatile neutral that works well with various color palettes.
Cushion Colors Types
Cushions for wicker patio furniture come in a wide variety of colors, and their availability depends on the furniture set options. You can also purchase replacement cushions to change up the look of your furniture. Some popular cushion colors include:
- Blue: A calming, cool hue that pairs well with coastal or nautical themes.
- Red: A vibrant, energizing color that adds a pop of personality to your outdoor space.
- White: A crisp, clean choice that works well with many color schemes.
- Brown and Tan: Neutral earth tones that complement the natural surroundings.
- Black: A sophisticated option that can add depth and contrast.
- Gray: A versatile neutral that can be easily incorporated into various color palettes.
- Green: A refreshing hue that reflects the vibrant greenery of your outdoor space.
With so many styles, colors, and price points available, you can find the perfect wicker patio furniture to enhance your outdoor living area.
Wicker Patio Furniture Types and Ideas
Here are some common wicker patio furniture types and ideas for your outdoor space:
Large Items: Sofas and Sectionals
Sofas and sectionals provide ample seating for larger gatherings, making them perfect for hosting outdoor events or family get-togethers. They come in various sizes, styles, and configurations to suit your specific needs and preferences.
✨ My Tip: For larger areas, go for modular furniture sets. This will give you more flexibility in how you can lay out the patio furniture across your large outdoor area.
Small Items: Loveseats and Chairs
Loveseats and chairs are ideal for smaller spaces or for adding extra seating to your patio area. They are available in a variety of designs, from traditional to contemporary, and can be easily mixed and matched with other pieces.
✨ My Tip: Looking for a small furniture set? Look for items called bistro sets (two chairs and a small side table) or a conversation set (usually a loveseat, two chairs, and a coffee table).
Special Chair Types
Swivel chairs offer added functionality and comfort, allowing you to rotate in any direction. They are perfect for conversation areas or for enjoying a panoramic view of your outdoor space.
Egg chairs are unique, cocoon-like seats that provide a cozy, private retreat. They often come with cushions for added comfort and can be suspended from a stand or hung from a sturdy structure.
Round (Circular) Chairs
As the name implies, these chairs have a very distinct round shape. The chairs are pretty large compared to other chair options, and some can rotate.
Dining and Bar Furniture
Wicker dining and bar furniture sets create a welcoming space for outdoor meals and entertaining. Choose from various table sizes, chair styles, and barstool options to create a dining area that fits your needs.
Chaise Lounges and Daybeds
Chaise lounges and daybeds offer a comfortable place to relax, sunbathe, or read a book. They often come with adjustable backrests, allowing you to find the perfect position for your comfort.
Wicker tables come in various sizes and shapes, including coffee tables, side tables, and dining tables. They provide a functional surface for holding drinks, snacks, or decorative items.
Fire Pit Sets
Wicker outdoor fire pit sets combine comfortable seating with a built-in fire pit (usually a fire pit table), creating a cozy atmosphere for cool evenings. These sets often include a table with a fire pit in the center, surrounded by chairs or sofas.
Unique Types of Furniture
Consider these unique wicker patio furniture options for a personalized touch:
Featuring taller backrests for added support and comfort, high-back furniture creates a cozy, enclosed feeling.
Curved furniture pieces, such as sofas or sectionals, add an elegant touch to your outdoor space with their sweeping lines and fluid shapes.
Deep seating furniture offers extra cushioning and support for enhanced comfort, perfect for lounging and relaxation.
With these wicker patio furniture types and ideas in mind, you can create an inviting and functional outdoor space tailored to your needs and preferences.
Decor Ideas for Wicker Patio Furniture
Here are some decor ideas to enhance the look and feel of your wicker patio furniture:
- Mix and Match: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different styles, colors, and materials to create a unique and personalized outdoor space. Combine wicker furniture with other materials like metal or wood for a more dynamic look. Additionally, mixing various cushion colors and patterns can add visual interest and personality to your space.
- Add Color: Adding color to your wicker patio furniture can instantly transform your outdoor area. Choose vibrant cushion colors or throw pillows that complement your wicker furniture and reflect your personal style. You can also add colorful outdoor rugs, planters, or decorative accents to create a cohesive and visually appealing space.
- Accessorize: Accessorizing your wicker patio furniture can elevate your outdoor space and make it more inviting. Add outdoor lighting, such as string lights or lanterns, for ambiance during evening gatherings. Incorporate decorative cushions, throws, or surrounding plants for added comfort and visual appeal. Additionally, consider adding an umbrella or shade sail for sun protection and a touch of style.
Where to Buy Wicker Patio Furniture
Wicker patio furniture is available from a variety of retailers and brands, both online and in-store. Here are some popular options to consider:
1. Amazon: A vast selection of wicker patio furniture from various brands, often with competitive prices and fast shipping.
👉 Check out our roundup of some of the best wicker patio furniture on Amazon.
👉 Check out our comparison of some of the popular wicker patio furniture brands that you will find on Amazon: Ohana vs. Ovios (XIZZI) vs. Wisteria Lane vs. Rattaner.
2. Home Depot: Offers a wide range of wicker furniture styles, materials, and price points, both online and in-store.
👉 Check out our review of Home Depot’s Hampton Bay patio furniture, which has many wicker patio furniture collections.
3. Walmart: Provides affordable wicker patio furniture options, with a focus on budget-friendly choices.
4. Lowes: Carries an assortment of wicker patio furniture, including exclusive brands and designs.
5. Wayfair: Features a vast selection of wicker furniture, from budget to high-end options, with customer reviews and ratings for easy decision-making.
Other Popular Brands
1. Outer: Specializes in high-quality, eco-friendly wicker patio furniture with a focus on comfort and durability.
👉 Check out our review of Outer outdoor furniture.
2. SunHaven: Offers stylish and comfortable wicker furniture sets, designed for outdoor living and entertaining.
3. RST Brands: Provides a range of modern and classic wicker patio furniture designs, with an emphasis on quality and value.
👉 Check out our review of RST Brands patio furniture.
4. Frontgate: Known for their luxurious and high-end wicker patio furniture, Frontgate offers premium quality and elegant designs for those looking to invest in lasting pieces.
With so many options available, you can find the perfect wicker patio furniture to suit your style, needs, and budget.
Maintenance FAQ and Tips
Below are some common maintenance questions and topics for wicker patio furniture and our answers and tips:
Can Wicker Patio Furniture Be Left out in Rain? Is it Waterproof?
Wicker patio furniture can be left out in the rain, but its performance varies depending on the material used. High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) wicker performs best compared to other synthetic materials. While not completely waterproof, it is designed to withstand moisture and resist damage from the elements.
👉 Check out our summary of the best patio furniture materials (and some examples) for rainy and humid climates.
Can Wicker Patio Furniture Be Left out in Winter?
Wicker patio furniture can be left out in the winter, but the performance depends on the materials used. HDPE wicker performs best compared to other synthetic materials, and aluminum inner frames are more resistant to winter conditions than steel. However, if you expect harsh weather conditions, it’s recommended that you store and/or protect your patio furniture.
👉 Check out our summary of the best patio furniture materials (and some examples) for winter.
Can Wicker Patio Furniture Be Left Out in the Sun?
Synthetic wicker is essentially a plastic material, and like other plastics, it may fade or crack due to constant sun and heat exposure. HDPE wicker generally performs best, as the color is usually dyed throughout the material in the manufacturing process, and many manufacturers use UV-inhibitors in the material. Lower-quality wicker patio furniture may be more susceptible to fading and damage from the sun.
How to Clean Wicker Patio Furniture
To clean wicker patio furniture, follow these simple steps:
- Brush off any dirt and debris using a soft brush or cloth.
- Mix mild soap with water to create a cleaning solution.
- Use a soft bristle brush to gently scrub the furniture with the soapy water.
- Rinse thoroughly with a garden hose.
- Allow the furniture to air dry completely.
Always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for cleaning and maintenance.
How to Store and Protect Wicker Patio Furniture
Here are some tips for storing and protecting wicker patio furniture:
- Use patio furniture covers specifically designed for wicker furniture.
- Store cushions separately in a dry, cool place when not in use.
- If possible, move furniture to a covered area, such as a garage or shed, during the off-season.
How to Repair Wicker Patio Furniture
First, always consult the manufacturer’s guidelines for repairing damaged wicker strands. Below are some general guidelines for repairing wicker:
- Identify the damaged area and clean it thoroughly.
- If the damage is minor, use a clear epoxy or resin to fill any cracks or gaps.
- For more extensive damage, replace the damaged strands with new wicker material, weaving it in the same pattern as the original.
How to Paint Wicker Patio Furniture
First, always consult the manufacturer’s guidelines for painting the wicker, if it is possible at all. If you feel as though you can paint the wicker furniture, here are some general guidelines:
- Clean the furniture and allow it to dry completely.
- Lightly sand the surface to remove any loose paint or debris.
- Apply a primer specifically designed for wicker furniture.
- Use a high-quality outdoor paint, preferably in a spray format, for an even finish.
- Apply multiple thin coats, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next.